Disturbed
Issue #1
I feel disturbed. Well, my mind isn’t at peace… the issue that ticked me off is the inefficiency of the council. I would really like to know the dates of the training courses that I have to attend during my semester break. Yes, my break will be disrupted! I know that full well when the previous exco member approached me to run for the elections; I had to ask her what are the sacrifices I have to make as an exco member and one of the sacrifices is my semester break…some of it will be taken up for the council.
Alright then.
I just received news that there’ll be 2 courses to attend during the semester break in November-December. Argh!! The dates aren’t out yet, but I am already disturbed by the news itself! Okay, IF I really have to sacrifice my opportunity of going to Myanmar, I can still accept that. Although I really want to go for the mission trip, for the sake of the students in my university/ for the sake of the training that I have to undergo as a SRC (Student Representative Council) member, I am willing to give it up.
However, I am NOT willing to give up my YLDP week for training!! ARGH!!! I really pray and hope that I need not go for any training during that period of time. I have already volunteered to be a helper for YLDP this year. It’s been YEARS since I participated in YL! Really annoyed here…
Case close for issue #1.
Issue #2
*!Caution!* “Do not compare me with anyone for I am a unique individual! Don’t expect me to live as someone else’s shadow.”
I really dislike it when people compare me with others. I mean, I am who I am! If I am in the wrong, do correct me. But I have my abilities; I have my personality; I have my own values, beliefs and conduct. So, don’t compare me with others, especially when it comes to how I deal with people.
My president & I were having a short discussion. The thing that sparked my ‘wrath’ was when he said “I hope you can speak out more often. Here, at the council, you need not be so shy; just speak forth your comments, views and ideas. I know it can be uncomfortable to be the only non-Muslim. Learn from TFL. She could work well with the Malays.”
Right. That hit the bull’s eye. First of all, I am NOT TFL. In addition to that, I CAN work well with the Malays! Seriously. I have my share of complains, but I am alright when I work with them! Just ask my partner, N. She’s the other faculty rep sitting in the council with me & she is one of my closest Malay friends. She could testify that I have no problems working with Malays. I am not all that racist, and I rarely judge a person by their religion. (I can’t say that I am entirely not racist either) If I do, I won’t be in this uni ‘til now! Even my project group members can testify that I can work alright with them. Perhaps even better if they were to compare me to my other Chinese friends who struggle when working with them.
*sigh*
Such is life. I reckon if he (president) were to bring this sort of issue up again, he’ll have to taste my ‘wrath’. I really respect him and look up to his leadership. Yet, as a leader, he has to respect my entire package as well. As for now, I forgive and leave this matter alone. I want to fight for my rights as much as I fight for the rights of the students on the whole.
I am an individual just like everyone else. I believe that there is a need for a certain level of respect towards each other. What do you all (those reading this post) think?
Case close for issue #2


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home