Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Civilization Class

Some questions popped into my head during the Islamic Civilization & Asian Civilization 1 class today. It was actually quite interesting to learn about the ancient civilization again; how they rose to their glory, and how they just fell and the civilization ended.

I seem to think that the main cause of the emergence & downfall of a civilization is the attitude of people. We were asked to do a short discussion on what could be done in today's world, so as to not let our 'civilization' fall too. Hmm...quite an easy question. But then again, what actually CAN be done? I mean, if it is all up to the attitudes of a person, what can we do? It is an individual thing.

Just take a closer look at how the civilization hit its jackport.
1. Geographical factor
2. Religious boost
3. Appreciation of moral values
4. Depressing historical experiences
5. Positive influences

Four out of the five factors are up to the individuals to make their stand. Now, look at how the downfall of civilization took place then.
1. Obvious difference between the wealthy communities from the deprived people
2. Depression & abundance of human rights
3. Moral decay
4. Closed-mindedness to improvement & changes
5. Natural disasters

See the pattern? Once again, 4/5 are based on an individual's choice! *sigh* More like the downfall of man.

Somehow, after the question was thrown out to us, I can't help but think of how we can ACTUALLY not make the same mistakes.What everyone else said was so general, as if not much depth was put into thinking 'bout that question. Yup, have a stong religion background, have good attitudes, learn from the past, follow positive influences,...yada-yada. I mean, it takes A LOT of effort to really strive to that perfection. *sigh* The depth of thought. I, myself, dn't really think so deep. But this time 'round, I can't help but think over it again & again.

How can we discipline ourselves? That's one tough question to put to practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com