Thursday, August 18, 2005

Random shots

Despite the warm air lingering in the room, the atmosphere felt was much colder than anyone would think it to be. The silence is numbing, causing the ever attentive ears to ‘move’ at every slightest sound heard. No amount of music played could overpower the numbing silence.

The room is filled with occupants; not as if it is empty at all. Yet, looking around the room, all one could perceive is that everyone else is busy with their own business. It SO doesn’t feel any comfortable to sit in the midst of room mates, who cannot be bothered about you in their intense concentration.

Conversations rarely strike-up when all four room mates are around. Either each of them have their heads buried deep into those thick text books, or more often than the other, half the room mates are out almost all the time. Hardly will there be time spent just to catch up and check on each other. No one is to blame, really. Perhaps none believe that personal relationships / friendships are as important, except yours truly.

*sigh*

It is strange how people can live in this sort of ‘vacuumed’ life. Definitely this isn’t completely true all the time. It is just that such a situation take place ever too often in this room that I am beginning to feel uncomfortable. It is not that I loathe silence; I love every single bit of it, but not when I am with a group of people whom I have to live with for a whole year. Can you imagine how bare life in the room would be?

***
People these days are getting very independent. One may be in illusion that yes, people are getting independent, but the truth is that people these days are getting self-centered. There are group works to be completed (as a group, of course); yet certain students would rather complete it themselves than to trust their group members’ ability. Well, I do agree that at times we would get sleeping members. However, there isn’t any excuse to not delegate the workload to every member of the group. We may need to edit portions of the work at the end, but the littlest of effort placed into the work by the others would lighten our burdens somewhat.

Self-centeredness reflects a lot on the individual’s attitude. It is usually tough to make a statement make sense to them as they will think that they are right most of the time. I’ve tried many times talking to people who are self-centered. Most of the time, I fail to get the message through to them. *sigh* Why can’t people just learn to listen?

***
Good golly. The ability to listen reflects much on me. Have I been listening; to God; to others? Self-check…hmm…

Of late, I know I’ve been listening to some friends when they turned to me for a listening ear. Compared to the time when I was at JS, I am finding it more difficult to be still and listen. It may be the busyness that I am in, but that doesn’t give me a good excuse. Ah, time to learn to listen again and focus on what is important. It may be that during the time of busyness we find the presence of God even more real… who knows…?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Cursor by www.Soup-Faerie.Com